The monsoon season is definitely a much-needed hiatus from the smoldering hot summer days, but it also brings its fair share of styling problems. While the cloudy sky exhilarates your spirits, the highly humid weather can wreck havoc on your hair. Its almost as if your mane’s shenanigans were not enough already, now you have to deal with excessive hair fall, frizz, and dullness. But don’t get overwhelmed yet! Because there are various hair care tips to help you manage this mess.
All you have to do is amp up your hair care routine by a few notches to keep flaunting your flowy tresses with pride. And we are here to help you through it! Pamper your hair with these simple, everyday hair care tips and DIY hair masks to include in your hair care regimen this monsoon.
Hair Care Tips to Reduce Frizz
Your hair is bound to be frizzy during the rainy season. The chemistry of your hair makes it prone to excessive moisture in the air, causing the follicles to swell and frizz. How to avoid it?
- Avoid getting drenched in the rain as rainwater is acidic and it causes heavy damage to your tresses.
- If you do get stuck in a downpour, make sure to wash out and dry your hair immediately. Do not simply towel-dry your hair as it adds to the frizz.
- During hair wash, use a hydrating shampoo and anti-frizz conditioner that strengthens your hair from root to tip.
- Use your finger pads gently to detangle your hair while washing.
- Layer an anti-frizz spray or serum after the wash.
Hot Oil ‘Champi’ for the Win
Nothing is better for your hair than your grandma’s good ol’ hair care tip. A hot oil massage provides deep nourishment and boosts moisture in your hair that revitalizes the dry strands. Get yourself a soothing champi at least twice a week.
What are the best hair oils for the monsoon season?
- Almond and Coconut Oils are hydrating oils that reduce dryness-induced frizz, split ends, and breakage. This is one of the best hair growth oils.
- Neem-based Oils refreshes the scalp by a cooling effect and removes accumulated sweat that can cause dandruff and itching.
TIP: Massage oil gently and use less quantity. Rigorous massaging damages hair further. Also, don’t tend to over shampoo your hair to remove the oil as that may cause more breakage.
Hair Care Tips to Let your Hair Breathe
If you tie your hair on a rainy day, the moisture seeps inside and stays there longer, resulting in your hair swelling up and causing more frizz. To avoid this, keep your hair down. But if you have to tie it, incorporate creative hairstyles to your hair care routine like loose braids or a low ponytail. The lighter the hairstyle, the better.
Check out this article for stylish celebrity hairstyle ideas –
Hair Care Tips to Avoid Hair Breakage
Say No to heat-based styling tools. Blow dryers and hair straighteners might be your answer to deal with unruly hair, but deep down you know they cause more damage to your follicles. Especially during the monsoon season, you should use these tools in moderation to ensure damage-free hair.
Have a Protein-Rich Diet
Proteins are essential for cell regeneration. Since your hair follicles are basically made of a protein called keratin, ensure to include items like eggs, lean meat, spinach, pulses, green veggies to add to your diet. Incorporate foods rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Iron, Vitamins A and D to your hair care routine to ensure hair growth and less hair fall.
Pick the Right Comb
A wide-toothed comb is your best bet during the rainy reason. Since your hair has a tendency to be brittle now, it avoids hair breakage while detangling and helps in the distribution of natural scalp oils. Let go of hairbrushes.
TIP: Use this comb for spread conditioner to your hair after hair wash. It helps in evenly distributing the hair product along the length of your hair while also avoiding any damage.
Everyday Hair Care Tips
- Always use a Micro-fibre Towel as it soaks water easily and reduces friction and static.
- Humid conditions cause the growth of bacteria and fungi on the scalp resulting in itchiness, hair fall, and flakiness. To keep these germs at bay, use a mild and sulfate-free shampoo at least 2-3 times a week.
- Include neem-based products to your hair care routine.
- A good hair care tip is to apply coconut oil 15 minutes before hair wash. It provides for pre-conditioning of your hair.
DIY Hair Masks for your Monsoon Hair Care Woes
For amazing DIY Skincare Ideas, head on to our Blog – 5 Facial Mist DIY That Will Make Your Face Glow Instantly
1. For Frizz-Free Hair
Mix equal quantities of vinegar and honey in a cup of hot water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Apply it to your hair, keep it on for a few minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo. The honey deeply conditions your hair and straightens out the monsoon frizz.
2. Hair Care Tips to Ensure Damage-Free Hair
A combination of eggs and mayonnaise may sound weird, but they are potent ingredients for replenishing nutrients to damaged hair. The mayo deeply moisturizes the hair and gives its lustre back. The egg yolk serves as a cleaning agent and can cut through the grease to make it cleaner. For super damaged hair, mix one teaspoon of olive oil to enhance the effect.
3. Hair Mask To Getting Rid of Dandruff
Mix half cup yogurt with one teaspoon of honey and lemon juice each. Apply the mask to your hair length and let it stay for 30 minutes. Wash off with a sulfate-free shampoo. The acidic quality of lemon stabilizes your scalp’s pH, ridding it of dandruff while yogurt and honey moisturize your hair to counter the damage of the acid.
4. Hair Care Tips to Reduce Hair Fall
This age-old hair care tip is also the most effective. Boil coconut oil with a few amla pieces and apply it onto your hair twice a week. Alternatively, you can soak shikakai, amla, and reetha in hot water and keep it overnight. Crush them in the morning and use it as a replacement for shampoo. Massage it gently as the key to reduce hair fall is by increasing blood circulation to your scalp.
Enjoy the beauty of the monsoon season without letting it affect your hair quality with these essential tips and easy tricks. Let us know in the comments if these ideas are helpful to you!
Read more about hair care and hairstyling ideas –
Keep following Marsplay for more fashion inspiration.